5.26.2006

Strategically Un-strategic

I like strategies. I like having a plan of attack and sticking to it. I like knowing what the goals, purposes, vision and direction of my ministry look like. In fact, for years I've rang the bell of 'junior high ministry needs to, and can be, more strategic!' Believe me; I have no plans to abandon my plans. However I'm beginning to wonder if, because of the brief season of ministry time we have with our students (2-3 years max) and their unique developmental stage, too much strategy actually hurts our ministry to young teens rather than helps it. Maybe part of our strategy needs to include room to be un-strategic. Maybe we need to leave room for spontaneity, last minute changes, creative alternatives and that kind of stuff. Maybe there's a place for the strategically un-strategic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

spontaneity...tried that once. then i got a nasty email from a parent. too scared to go back!

Anonymous said...

I like this idea - "strategically un-strategic" - What would this look like? Just walking in with a plan and then through it out if something different comes to my mind, kids, and/or adults minds? Or maybe crativly present some ideas to the kids/adults through out the week before youth group time that they might talk about as a "change" during youth group? Just try to brainstorm this idea more.

Anonymous said...

I think we need to think strategically over the long term. And from that long term strategy, we need to be planning our weekly and other get togethers.

But as far as applying that strategy on a constant basis, I don't think it is feasable. I think we have that long term plan so that we can give ourselves permission to be spontaneous, to be non-directional on a week-to-week basis, knowing that there is a broader picture that we are working towards....

....just maybe not tonight.

Anonymous said...

If you are taking the time to have good vision and strategic planning (with God's guidance) as a foundation for what you do in ministry, then spontaneity can be a good thing.

My charasmatic wife would be quick to point out to me and others who grew up in a different background, that killing spontaneity is many times killing the work of the Holy Spirit in the moment.