3.08.2007

Feeling Sad

The father of a girl in our junior high ministry passed away this week. He was only 42 and had been fighting cancer for quite a while. I'm meeting with the family this afternonon to work through the final details of tomorrow's memorial service. Obviously I want the formal memorial service to go well and be a good celebration of this gentleman's life, but more importantly I hope our ministry and other support systems can rally around his daughter.

A good friend of mine passed away a couple years ago at the same age. His daughter was also in junior high at the time and it was such a devastating loss. My heart is hurting today knowing that another young teenager is facing the loss of her dad.

4 comments:

Josh(ua) Treece said...

I KNOW you'll do well, boss. You have an amazing ability to connect with people and to gently comfort and encourage. I'm definitely praying for you and for the family.

Tim Levert said...

Kurt, my friend. I remember when you were wrestling with the death of your friend a few years back. I'm praying that your rich love for people speaks louder than your words.

Anonymous said...

Maybe Wendy could connect with her? We'll be there this weekend. Praying for you...

Anonymous said...

I'm just a random youth leader, but I had to comment on this. I've seen kids lose friends, lose parents and it's one of the toughest things I've ever witnessed. I'm sure that you and the rest of the youth staff can rally around this young girl and though you may not be able to take away all of the pain, you will lessen it.