Today is our Student Ministries team Christmas party. We are heading out to Moreno Valley (out towards the desert...) to race go-karts on a mile-long outdoor track. The Karts are supposed to reach speeds of 60 miles an hour which should be a ton of fun. They let you practice for a while and then set up actual races. We're a pretty competitive bunch so it should be interesting to see it all unfold!
UPDATE: It's now 7:35 and I just walked through my front door. In a word: AMAZING. a few highlights.
- The track was unbelievable...the largest go kart track in the U.S. at one mile.
- Top speed was 70 MPH which felt like about 120 in the low-riding carts.
- There were times when I definitely felt like my life was in danger.
- Despite a 45 minute orientation preparing us, I completely spun out in my very first turn because I couldn't gauge the speed.
- We did have one unfortunate injury in our "main event" race which resulted in one of our interns going to the emergency room for 10 stitches to the knee.