5.24.2006

Crawling To The Finish Line

For almost 3 years, I've been in a graduate school Co-hort program at Vanguard University. I really can't think of a better approach to pursuing a graduate degree at this stage of my life, but it has really been a struggle. It's been a struggle primarily because of this stage of my life! Going back to school in my late 30's sounded like a good idea at the time! In a couple of weeks, I'll finish my final class which leaves me with only a Thesis and exit exam left. I believe in finishing strong; I've preached that principle, coached others on that principle and have lived by that principle for most of my life. But for some reason, I'm finding it almost impossible to apply that principle to my final stretch of grad school. Instead of finishing strong and sprinting toward the finish line, I find myself crawling slower than ever with the hope that if I can somehow make it to the end, a grace-giving scholar will place a diploma in my tired little hands. A diploma, I might add, that I will then tuck away in a drawer so I can get back to life exactly as it was 3 years ago.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information Kurt of what it is like to do grad work at our age (I'm 38 soon 39). I've been thinking about getting back to my grad work. I might have to rethink it a little. You can finish strong not becuase you preach/teach it but because it is the right thing to do.

Anonymous said...

My wife is finishing up her grad work within a year and I have been playing around with the idea of going back to school.

My dilema is this... I love the interaction of a classroom. How'd you deal without that in an online format... is there some sort of interaction?

Anonymous said...

Steve...the cohort program is great because it's less intrusive than a normal format, but not as isolated as online. We gather four times a year for a one-week extensive class...we're all on the same track.We spend Monday-Thursday together and then have to do a paper or project before the next class begins. To be honest, I don't think I would have made it without the accountability and friendship I've formed with my Co-hort partners.

Anonymous said...

Kurt...you are so far ahead of me there, and I'm only 24. My husband wants me to go back to get my masters, but we are not financially able right now. So, I figure once I get up there with you with kids and an even smaller budget, I'll finally wise up and agree that God provides.

Way to go Kurt. As my junior high guys say, "You da man bro."