6.01.2007

Random Ramblings

- Sixteen years ago today, I married the beautiful Rachel Salzman. Today Rachel Johnston is more beautiful than ever.

- I took the weekend off for our anniversary, but we can't figure out what to do.

- We're beginnng to look for ways to make our student ministries team feel a little more like one team instead of two competely seperate silos. It feels challenging and I'd love to hear from anybody who has made progress in this area.

- Changing our youth service times in a couple of weeks to try to make room on campus on Sunday mornings: Our Current Youth Times are Saturday @ 6:30, Sunday @ 9:00, 11:15, 4:30
Our New Times: Saturday @ 4:30 & 6:30, Sunday @ 9:00.

- 'Pirates': I hate the ride at Disney Land, didn't really like the first movie, haven't seen the second, therefore have no desire to see the third.

- I knew this day would come: I'm getting burned out on Chic-Fil-A (the food, NOT the sweet tea).

- My son has really been struggling at school this year. At the same time, he has developed a love for guitar and seems to be excelling at it. Several months ago we agreed that if things turned around at school we would purchase an electric guitar. I'm thrilled that with only 2 weeks left in school, it looks like I need to find some guitar money.

- We've been wrestling with the fact that we charge over $350.00 for a week of Summer camp. It just feels like too much. I just received a brochure for a weeklong Christian surf camp. The cost: $1,200.00.

8 comments:

Mike Lovato said...

Two thoughts for you:
- Spend your anniversary just hanging out. Nicole and I did an in-town vacation for ours...saw a movie, hung out at home, did whatever we wanted. It was much more restful than a weekend away is for us.
- I love the new service times. That sounds more manageable.

Josh(ua) Treece said...

-Our team went through a book by Patrick Lencioni called "Silos, Politics, and Turf Wars". He says that a crisis unites a team. You have to determine what the "body on the table" (to use ER speak) is and have everybody go after it.
-The new service times are awesome! You'll almost have a whole day off!

Eric Wakeling said...

1. I think the key to both JH and HS teams being united is a JH guy being in charge. Or just eat a lot of meals together.
2. Don't feel guilty for $350. We charge $495 for Hume Lake. But that's why we do an $85 surf camp for five days.

Eric Wakeling said...

those new service times are great too. I know that people you have tried to hire [that work for me :)]really hated the service times and that was a huge part of not wanting to work there.

Christine.Marie said...

Well, Kayla is coming over to my house for the weekend!

Unknown said...

Are you breaking down silos within the Jr. High ministry or with the Sr. High ministry?

Unknown said...

I can't believe you hate the Pirates ride. It's my favorite!

Brent said...

Burned out on Chick-fil-A?!

*GASP!*