11.04.2008

10-Minute Moment


A couple years ago while leading my 8th grade guys small group, the conversation took a detour along the topic of spending time with God. One of the guys mentioned something about not feeling close to God which set us off on a fantastic discussion. After a short discussion of their current prayer/bible study/devotion habits, I quickly realized that...well, that they had no habits at all.

At the end of our discussion I issued a challenge: "Let's all spend 10 minutes a day for the next 30 days spending time with God and his word." I did the math....30X10 added up to 5 hours of time with God...over an hour each week! The guys all agreed that spending 5 hours a month with God would probably help them grow in their faith and feel a little closer to God.

We came up with the name "10-minute moment", and everybody agreed to the goal of 10 minutes a day for the next month. Much to my surprise most of the guys in the group hit their goal (of course, they missed a day here or there) and all of them were stunned at how quickly spending 10 minutes a day had become a habit.

Ever since, I've been challenging the kids in my ministry to have their own 10-minute moment every day. To help them, I just created the first 10-minute moments journal and can't wait to put it in their hands. I pass the link on to you in case you want to help your students spend a few meaningful minutes with the father every day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We provide something similar to our students. I write up a daily devotion that they can go through that covers the material they hear in their small group. Not all the kids do them, but the ones that do show such great signs of maturity and growth. My challenge is crafting something they enjoy doing and can actually look forward to. I'm going to purchase a copy of 10 Minute Moments and hopefully get some new ideas. thanks for the great resource!

I'm Nick Emery said...

Let me quote you on this one: "I pass the link on to you in case you want to help your students spend a few meaningful minutes with the father every day."

In case? HAHAHA. YES, I deeply want my students to be in the Word and growing in their life of worship and this looks like another great tool to help in that. Thank you so much for sharing this resource.