I'm sitting in the coffee shop at Willow Creek (which is surprisingly nice....) waiting for their conference to start. Thoughts going through my mind as I sit here:
- 'Wow, this coffee shop really is surpisingly nice.'
- 'I wonder if anybody has a realistic estimate of how many youthworkers there are in the country.'
- 'Is the average stay of a youth pastor at a church really only 18 months or is that just a stat that gets tossed around for dramatic effect?'
- It's not the cold climate that bothers me....it's the fact that I have to bundle up to walk from my car to the building but once inside it's warm and cozy and then I'm stuck lugging around a big jacket all day (check that...I don't have a big jacket, but I'm stuck lugging around my little, So. Cal, jacket all day). Speaking of Check That...maybe they have a place to check my coat.
- I'm listening to a GREAT new worship CD on my iPod. 'Scattered Around' is the new CD from Brandon Grissom who heads up the junior high worship here at Willow. He wrote every song except one (wich happens to be my least favorite song on the CD...). I'm pretty sure we're going to carry it at www.simplyjuniorhigh.com but if you can't get it there, I'm sure you can track it down by calling Willow Creek. Even if it sucked, I'd recommend it because it's the product of a junior high youth worker. But it doesn't...it's fantastic.
-My daughter, Kayla, called yesterday from Kenya for the first time. I missed her call but Rachel called me to give me the update. She is having an amazing time. Interestingly enough, the highlight of her trip so far has been visiting a woman's prison and leading worship. I really miss her...much more than I thought I would. She'll be home next Monday afternoon.