6.13.2007

Speaking to Students

I was asked to read the manuscript of a new book by Doug Fields and Duffy Robbins called Speaking to Teenagers: How to Think About, Create, and Deliver Effective Messages.

I'm only about 1/3 of the way through it, but I think it may turn out to be one of my favorite youth ministry books in a long, long time! It is so practical and full of incredible insights into preparing to speak to students. If you regularly teach a group of kids, you need to get this book when it is released!

For those of you who don't want to read an entire book, and believe that I'm probably smarter than Fields and Robbins combined, I offer my super short 'TEACHING 101' seminar below:

- The first minute is the most important minute.
- It doesn't need to be long to be good.
- If it's going to be long, it needs to be good.
- Students like to laugh.
- Students like stories (especially real life ones...not from an illustration book).
- Be real.
- Be relevant.
- When possible, include active learning ingredients. Students learn more when they experience it.
- Offer specific application steps.
- The last minute is also the most important minute.

Wow, that's the worst seminar you've ever attended! Good thing it was free.

I have no idea when their book is set for release, but I urge you to buy it when it's available. I really do think that by implementing some of Doug and Duffy's insight, you will be doing yourself and your students a favor.

1 comment:

marko said...

i'm pretty sure it's coming out in october, in time for the NYWC.