11.05.2007

"No Way"

In our junior high ministry, our team tries to create what we call a "No Way" moment once in each series. A "No Way" moment is simply something we do in the program that causes kids to think, "No way....I can't believe they did that in church".
Our chocolate slip n slide is a 'no way' moment.
Our cow tongue toss is a 'no way' moment.

This weekend, our lesson was on the power and importance of being connected. As a 'No Way' moment, the entire junior high music team and our paid staff performed the 'all in this together' song from High School Musical. Because I couldn't make any of the rehearsals and didn't have the entire dance memorized, I got handed the solo free-style dance toward the end of the bit. I don't know how to dance and had put zero thought into my big debut.

My 8th grade daughter Kayla already regrets my decision to free-style in front of our entire ministry, and I'm sure I'll live to regret it, too.

The audio is terrible because it was recorded from a video camera in the back of our room. My solo is toward the end....if you can bear to watch.

10 comments:

Mark E. Eades said...

Yep - you had no idea what you were doing - LOL

John Snyder said...

It was awesome. I wish I could have been there to see it live.

Rob said...

Yep, you were terrible....but what an amazing way to put yourselves out there and connect with the kids. The more I work with that age, the more I see that all they want is you to accept and care about them, and they will listen to what you have to say. It seems by high school they are already closed off or jaded...Kudos on the idea!

(But, apologies to Janet Jackson: You, my friend, are NOT a Rhythm Nation!)

Anonymous said...

Sweet moves, bro.

Would have been better if you'd done the infamous 'David Brent' dance from The Office...

Unknown said...

wow....jaw dropping...NO WAY!

I love the no way moment concept. it's awesome!

chad said...

you're half a step behind everyone else... very funny

Stacy said...

This is pretty much one of the greatest things ever! Loved the moves Kurt!!

craig h said...

Very impressive indeed. Sorry I missed it in person.

Ken said...

Dude, I need to get on that train!!!

rob's thoughtful spot said...

my staff would kill me if I even suggested doing this! but I think I will anyhow! that's rad!