This June will mark my 20 year anniversary in junior high ministry. I'm sure that I will do a much more honest and thorough reflection of stuff I've learned, but today I was thinking about some of the bigger 'Ah Ha' moments I've had in ministry. Moments where the light bulb went off above my head and something changed as a result.
Some of my 'Ah Ha' moments, in no particular order:
- I'm not irreplaceable.
- I don't have to be cool.
- Everybody 'loves' junior high kids (we have to, we're Christians right?) but some people actually like them. Those are the people to build my team around.
- Functioning as a leader first and a Pastor second is a mistake.
- A lesson doesn't have to be long to be good, but if it's going to be long it has to be good!
- Parents need to be viewed as an ally not an enemy.
- To be effective, I have to surround myself with people who are smarter, more gifted and a lot different than I am.
- Pride ruins everything.
- I don't deserve anything I've been given.